This happened to me. During a move, I found myself dreadfully staring at my cluttered room. I felt all the stress of having to box up things that just did not bring me joy or had no purpose. Then I realized, why would I even want to make the effort to bring unwanted things with me? I wanted to shed the past versions of myself that I have grown out of- that is what decluttering is.
Let’s have Less
To get living with less a day, let these questions be your decluttering guide. It is like one of those COSMO questionnaires that tell you which Mean Girl character you are (anyone else do those on long car rides?). Just run through the list and see where it takes you!
- Do you love it? Like really LOVE it… if yes go to question 2, if not let it go.
- Did you use it yesterday? If you have… go to question 3, if not wait 30 days and if it hasn’t been touched sell it, donate it, or (if you have to) trash it!
- Can you replace it easily? If it is an antique, a family treasure, or something valuable keep it. But, if you end up needing it again, CAN buy it easily… if yes, go to question 4.
- Do you have specific place for it? Will it be proudly on display or have a forever home on a shelf, if yes jump to question 5, but if it is one of those things that is shoved in a drawer… viola you now have space!
- Do you want to maintain it? The biggest question! Do you have the motivation to clean it, fix it, or organize it… If not, pass it on to someone who will.
Whether you are straightening up your closet, your kitchen or your whole home you can use these 5 questions. Also, it helps to create three piles: trash (should be the smallest), sell, and donate. Then, send the things off to their new homes! Now, it is time for the fun part. Embracing the space.
Calm After the Storm
After you embrace this moment of calm & extra space, you may feel like there are now gaps in your home; an empty spot on the wall, or a missing piece in your closet. Ask yourself how you can fill it (or do you really need to?). Be mindful and conscious. Do not jump onto Amazon- I see you over there. Can you make something, can you display another loved possession, or can you find something of higher quality to bring in?
Sometimes We Need Space
When you declutter, you are letting go of the past and embracing what is most important to you. All creating peace so you can finally relax and be unapologetically you. I love thinking of minimalism as not removing the things you love, but removing what distracts your from them. If you begin to feel lost in your own world, that means it is time to do a cleanse. And not a juice cleanse! One of the best & easiest therapies is tangibly decluttering your life of negative energy. Your world around you should be a reflection of how you want to live!
Do not be afraid to do this every month or maybe weekly (but on a smaller scale). Also, this does not need to be done in a day if you feel overwhelmed or the process is mentally taxing. It can be hard to come face to face with yourself because you have to be honest about what you want in your world. But, just focus on the end result! Which is an absolutely freeing space that gives you the clarity to be the most authentic version of yourself! Pretty great right?
- Explore more helpful posts about living with less → click here
- Save my post on Pinterest for safe keeping ↓
- Tell me where you are decluttering first ↓